[darcs-users] Re: wanted: darcs record --summary ?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Oct 27 12:16:39 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 02:38:46AM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 25, 2005, Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org> said:
> >> I find the 'f' button to OK all changes in a File to do that just as
> >> easy and it does not force me to decide if I want to do files or
> >> patches based ok-ing beforehand. (more features make usage harder for
> >> new users, you know that, right?)
> >
> >   I had the impression he meant just printing "whatsnew -s" output and
> > then running record as usual.
>
> That's right.
>
> Thomas concern has some merit, though. However, the commands push, pull
> and send already have this flag, so it hardly to more to learn. If you
> seen what --summary does in any of those cases, it will be very familiar
> in 'record'.

I'm fine with this patch, but given Thomas' concern I'd like to hear the
opinions of a few more people before applying.  Certainly we should always
be cautious with adding new flags.  But as you say, adding common flags to
more commands is much less of an issue.

I'm hoping that my voice on this thread will inspire others to speak up.
Two votes for and one vote against feels a bit iffy to me.  It seems like a
harmless feature to me, but if it's also a useless (or almost useless)
feature, it shouldn't go in.

> The output of "darcs subcommand -h" could be improved to highlight the
> unique options versus the common options.

Hmmm.  That's an interesting idea.  I think it could sort of be grouped
with the idea of customizing the --help output to reflect the current
defaults (i.e. ~/.darcs/defaults and _darcs/prefs/defaults), which is also
a very good idea (more important than yours) that just takes a little bit
of infrastructure to do uniformly.
http://www.darcs.net