[darcs-users] Re: wanted: darcs record --summary ?

Gaetan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Oct 27 12:45:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:16:39 +0200, David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:

>> >   I had the impression he meant just printing "whatsnew -s" output and
>> > then running record as usual.
>>
>> That's right.
>>
>> Thomas concern has some merit, though. However, the commands push, pull
>> and send already have this flag, so it hardly to more to learn. If you
>> seen what --summary does in any of those cases, it will be very familiar
>> in 'record'.
>
> I'm fine with this patch, but given Thomas' concern I'd like to hear the
> opinions of a few more people before applying.  Certainly we should
> always
> be cautious with adding new flags.  But as you say, adding common flags
> more commands is much less of an issue.
>
> I'm hoping that my voice on this thread will inspire others to speak up.
> Two votes for and one vote against feels a bit iffy to me.  It seems
> like a
> harmless feature to me, but if it's also a useless (or almost useless)
> feature, it shouldn't go in.

I found this patch not really useful: why display the list of modified
files and then have to valid the patch as usual ?

   [glehmann at pcconf5 darcs]$ ./darcs record -s
   M ./DarcsIO.lhs +2
   hunk ./DarcsIO.lhs 128
   +...some garbage...
   +
   Shall I record this patch? (1/?) [ynWsfqadjkc], or ? for help:

A better feature would be IMHO to ask to the user if he want to record the
changes in the modified files. Something like:

   [glehmann at pcconf5 darcs]$ ./darcs record -s
   M ./DarcsIO.lhs +2
   Shall I record those patches? [ynW], or ? for help:

--
Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)