[darcs-users] Command overview in user manual

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Oct 31 05:59:36 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 10:13:17PM -0500, Donald J Bindner wrote:

> It seems that grouping the commands that are similar will help
> people keep them staight.

> Obviously the grouping I'm going for here is
>  - commands that only affect the patches
>  - commands that only affect the working directory
>  - commands that affect both
>  - commands that affect neither

    David> I think perhaps the current order is intended to loosely
    David> place the most common commands first.  But it isn't really
    David> successful, so unless someone objects, I'll accept a patch
    David> to modify the manual to reflect your ordering.

Not an objection, but I do have an opinion.

I find the proposed ordering rather artificial.  Also, he left out a
bunch of commands.  I think that there should be a standard way to
express what is affected and what permissions are needed, as proposed
by Nimrod Abing, but I find the following grouping more natural (and
it's not so different from yours).

Keeping up with a remote project:

get
pull

Adding to a local project:

init
record

Querying and modifying inventory:

changes
diff            # maybe this doesn't belong here
pull --dryrun
push --dryrun
<something about listing the inventory>
add
remove
mv
annotate            # maybe this doesn't belong here

Working with patches:

tag
unrecord
rollback
amend-record = unrecord + record
unpull = obliterate = unrecord + revert

Working with working files:

whatsnew            # maybe this doesn't belong here
revert
unrevert
replace

Working with public projects:

put
push
send
apply

Advanced commands for working with the inventory:

optimize
check
resolve
repair

Other commands:

check
dist

I think I'm still missing a few commands.