[darcs-users] Different contents, same tag

Ketil Malde ketil.malde at bccs.uib.no
Mon Sep 19 09:59:43 UTC 2005

Aaron Kaplan <kaplan at cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Now the file foo has different contents in A and in B, but both are
> tagged 'checkpoint'.  This seems dangerously confusing.

A tag is a minimal set of patches, not a maximal one.  Your repo
typically contains a set of tags, not just one.

> If your repo is different in any way from the one you're pulling from,
> pulling a tag should generate a conflict.

Think about it: David releases darcs 2.0, and tags it as such.  I have
a couple of local changes, shouldn't I be able to upgrade my repo to
the new version?

> For example, if I'm maintaining a local branch of
> somebody else's software, and they release a new version and tag it
> "release 2.0", when I next do a pull, I'd like to add a tag to my
> local repo that says "my local version of release 2.0".

Just pull "release 2.0" and make an additional tag that includes your
modifications?  (The original "release 2.0"-tag obviously won't
include any of your modifications).

-k