[darcs-users] Open Source Hebrew Roots Bible; darcs the right software to use?

Ted Walther krooger at debian.org
Mon Apr 3 17:41:58 UTC 2006

Hello.  I'm starting up a project to correct the translation of the King
James Bible to better fit the underlying Hebrew language, and release it
under some free license, such as Creative Commons or GFDL. Maybe dual
license.

I want to leave a clear paper trail of every change I made, and the
reason for it.

Some changesets will touch a large number of verses, while others will
only touch a few.

There will be only one (large) file in this project, the plain text of
the Bible itself.

I want to not only keep a clear record of every change I make and the
reason for it, but I want to allow web browsers to easily see the
changes that were made to a particular verse, to see what changesets
altered that verse, and what the rationale is for each changeset.

It is my understanding that --annotate only shows the most recent
changeset to touch a line; is that true?  I would like to show my
viewers ALL the changesets that effect a particular verse.

In addition, I want to highlight the changes from each changeset on a
word by word basis using a GNU wdiff algorithm.

Because each "verse" is on a line by itself, typical patch format isn't
very useful for seeing the changes that were made in a verse.   We
already know it changed; we want to see what changed.

If this sounds like something that darcs would support, please let me
know.  I don't mind writing wrapper scripts or touching the _darcs/
directory directly, but I'd prefer not to have to modify darcs itself.

Ted

--
          It's not true unless it makes you laugh,
     but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Ted Walther
Address: 5690 Pioneer Ave, Burnaby, BC  V5H2X6 (Canada)
Contact: 604-430-4973