[darcs-users] Open Source Hebrew Roots Bible; darcs the right software to use?

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Mon Apr 3 18:17:24 UTC 2006

On 4/3/06, Ted Walther <krooger at debian.org> wrote:
> Hello.  I'm starting up a project to correct the translation of the King
> James Bible to better fit the underlying Hebrew language, and release it
> under some free license, such as Creative Commons or GFDL. Maybe dual
> license.

Can you copyright derivative works of your bible?  I'm not a lawyer,
but I know derivative works tend to have rules at least here in the
US.

> There will be only one (large) file in this project, the plain text of
> the Bible itself.
>
> I want to not only keep a clear record of every change I make and the
> reason for it, but I want to allow web browsers to easily see the
> changes that were made to a particular verse, to see what changesets
> altered that verse, and what the rationale is for each changeset.

If that is the case, I'd recommend using a wiki instead of version
control (depending on the wiki you can limit edit access).  If you
really don't want to use a wiki then darcs is probably very close to
ideal.

> It is my understanding that --annotate only shows the most recent
> changeset to touch a line; is that true?  I would like to show my
> viewers ALL the changesets that effect a particular verse.

I think the various darcs web front ends do a better job of
annotation.  Specifically, darcs.cgi is probably close to what you
want in that department.

> In addition, I want to highlight the changes from each changeset on a
> word by word basis using a GNU wdiff algorithm.
>
> Because each "verse" is on a line by itself, typical patch format isn't
> very useful for seeing the changes that were made in a verse.   We
> already know it changed; we want to see what changed.

Hmm..I can't comment on this part.

HTH,
Jason