[darcs-users] Open Source Hebrew Roots Bible; darcs the right software to use?

Simon Chappell simonpeterchappell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 19:35:40 UTC 2006

On 4/3/06, Ted Walther <krooger at debian.org> wrote:
*snip*
> >Out of interest, will you be accepting volunteers? My Hebrew is
> >terrible without a copy of Strongs to hand, but I would be delighted to
> >help with proof-reading.
>
> Definitely.  My main technique is as follows:

Excellent! Shall we take the non-DARCS portion of the discussion off-list?

*snip*
> So not only will this be a "more correct" King James, but it will be
> fully self-documenting.  People will be able to go through and
> cherry-pick only those changes which they agree with.  Which is why I
> was interested in using darcs.

Interesting idea. Kind of DIY scripture translation updates. Don't
like Thee/Thou and Thy? Apply patch 27.

> I don't plan to do a thee/thy/thou substitution in the beginning mainly
> because it would take so long.  But if someone submits a changeset that
> does the whole thing, I will happily apply it.

That said, personally, I like the Olde English, but then I'm English
and Olde, so I guess that's to be expected? :-)

> Like Linus with the Linux kernel, I want each changeset to only change
> one thing.  If you are changing thou to you, then I'd like that to be
> all you do in that changeset.

I'd hope that most people would take that approach no matter what SCM they used.

> Anyhow, that is the vision, and I'm still not sure if darcs will let me
> do what I need without too much trouble.  Maybe I should go away and
> mock up a few use-case scenarios so you can see what I mean.  I'll try
> to have that ready in a day or two.

Theory is great, but working code trumps everything!

> Ted

Simon

--
www.simonpeter.org