[darcs-users] OT: Freedom and copyrights [was: Open Source Hebrew Roots Bible]

Elmo Mäntynen elmo13 at jippii.fi
Fri Apr 7 21:03:43 UTC 2006

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

>>So, if he wants to ensure his new bible remains free, then he has to
>>copyright it so he can Creative Commons it.
>>

>Sorry for the offtopic, but the formulation is biased.  Whether Ted
>puts his work in the public domain or uses a ``copyleft'' license, the
>work will remain free.
>
>What a copyleft license (e.g. the GPL) prevents is integrating parts
>of the work within a proprietary work.  Contrary to what some have
>been brought to believe, your work is not any less free just because
>parts of it have been used to improve proprietary software.
>
>                                 Juliusz ``Libertarian Software'' Chroboczek

Sorry too for the offtopic, but I have a little but IMO important note
to make:

I have read that some people are concerned about some one copyrighting
public domain work and pretending to own the rights to it completely,
and that this might be enforced in court (something about US law, I
think). I believe the writer was some one knowledgeable, so I would
recommend considering the use of an MIT (and the like) style licence,
just to be sure that your work remains free.

Elmo