[darcs-users] darcs stalls in diffing dir...

Valentyn Kamyshenko kamysh at kamysh.org
Fri Apr 7 17:26:42 UTC 2006

Juliusz:

the initial commit was about that size. After that there were many small
commits, that worked fine, but at some moment something happened.
Basically, it was one commit that caused the trouble. I'm ready to
accept the fact that there may be such situations with DARCS. The
problem is that although it is known that there may be such situations,
DARCS does not provide any clues what causes them (yes, I've seen about
150 'mergers' after one commit, that became 300 after the next, that
became 500 after the next).
Again, my point is that DARCS probably 'knows' internally that something
goes wrong (that causes this exponential growth of execution time), but
it does not provide any information that would help to solve the problem
manually. And, it is extremely important to have an estimate of how long
will it take to actually resolve interdependencies, given that it
already takes very long time - I can wait (in some situations) 2 hours,
or even 24 hours, but it may take a month or a year to complete - we all
understand what the exponent really is, do we?

Regards,

    Valentyn.