[darcs-users] Changing tag names

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Fri Aug 4 21:01:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 14:23:49 -0500, Richard A. Smith wrote:
> >You can get --tag for each repo, retag in that temp repo, with a
> >different name, push it to the main repo, and unpull the tag from
> >the main repo.
>
> I'd like to increase my grok level of darcs.  Can you explain how this works?

let's say you have the repo "moose", and you get --tag it

	darcs get --tag "moose 1.0" moose moose_for_tagging

then what you have in moose_for_tagging is all the patches before
moose 1.0.

Next you unpull the "moose 1.0" tag, patch, which removes it from
the repo, and tag again.

The new tag will depend on all the patches in the current
repository, and while it's going to be a separate tag it'll reply on
precisely the same patches, so it'll functionally be the same.

Next, you can push this tag to the parent repo, and you have two
tags in there.

Lastly, unpull the original tag from the parent repo as well, and
you've effectively replaced it.

Note that you may need to work from the first tag to the last when
creating the new tags, and then unpull from the last to the first to
satisfy dependencies - i am not sure if tags depend on one another.

I hope this clears things up

--
  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org>
http://nothingmuch.woobling.org  0xEBD27418