[darcs-users] Re: [Trac] new version of trac-darcs plugin

Lele Gaifax lele at nautilus.homeip.net
Sat Aug 5 23:03:24 UTC 2006

K.S.Sreeram wrote:
> Matthew Good wrote:
>> However, I wonder if the patches to the Trac source are necessary.
>
> trac-darcs can be used as a separate plugin to trac without requiring
> any changes to trac itself. The patches in the source repo are for
> integrating trac-darcs *into* the trac code itself. (but i wonder if
> anybody needs to do that, perhaps we can remove these patches from the
> repo...)

Yes, it does not require any patch, but it used to. We can drop the
patches, even if I *do* use some of them, it's sometime easier for debug
purposes.

>> Does that mean you're storing a full copy of each version of each file
>> accessed?  It seems like that would start taking up a lot of disk space.
>
> Unfortunately, in darcs, there's no direct and simple way to access a
> older version of a file. Right now 'darcs annotate + ann2ascii' is used
> to fetch the data. Since this is slow, caching is a must.
>
> This isn't too bad because only those verions of files, which are
> accessed thru the webui, are cached.
>
> The cache is stored in the 'darcs_cache' table in the trac db, and this
> can be cleared if it gets too big.

Yes, I noticed: version 0.3 used to keep the cache on the filesystem.
Maybe we can reintroduce that as an alternative option. It seems simpler
to keep under reasonable size.

Also, maybe we can integrate better with upstream trac tables: some of
the new tables duplicate and overlap with those.

ciao, lele.