[darcs-users] Darcs memory usage

Jamie Webb j at jmawebb.cjb.net
Fri Aug 18 12:19:20 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 07:39:20PM -0400, Jorey Bump wrote:
> Wolfgang Dobler wrote:
> > >  > Darcs is the wrong tool for this job.  For keeping machine-generated
> > > files of that size, I would recommend a snapshot-based rather than
> > > delta-based tool.
> >I just thought the deltas weren't that bad for my case, as the dump
> >process produces similar files each time.
>
> I also use darcs in this fashion, but for smaller databases, which may be the reason I'm not experiencing the same
> problem. I've become completely dependent on darcs for version controlling just about everything, including code,
> documentation, web sites, system configuration, etc.
>
> But for point-in-time backups, I've been using rdiff-backup:
>
>  http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

Be wary of this software. I switched from it to BoxBackup about a year
ago (despite not needing or wanting Box's encryption stuff) because I
found that rdiff-backup had managed to corrupt its history data for
two partitions and was susequently failing silently to make any more
backups.

Incidentally, rsync itself has pretty much everything necessary to do
backups these days. It can backup to a fresh directory but hardlink
all unchanged files to the versions in the previous backup.

-- Jamie Webb