[darcs-users] Attempt to understand darcs

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Fri Aug 25 15:47:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 02:02:23AM -0700, Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> I'm not sure if I got the terminology right, and I invented some terms
> myself. Let me know if I made some mistakes (or sign up and edit it
> yourself).

I think it's a good and correct description.

This view of darcs is very like the one I tried to draw a
picture (worth more than a thousand words) of long ago, but then
there came many new ideas so I postponed it for when darcs had
settled a bit. I made about the same grouping of things, as
little icons with "command" arrows showing the possible
transformations. Looking at the picture now I see Initialize was
named Inittree back then. :-)

One of the problems is to capture both inter-repo and intra-repo
activities in the same picture without cluttering the overview.
I've sort of given up on this for now. But I still think graphic
diagrams would be an efficient way of describing darcs.