[darcs-users] Conceptual questions about REPO s

Sean schliden at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 03:24:34 UTC 2006

Hi, I am new to SCM and chose darcs, after much reading and consideration.

I have never used a SCM system b4, so please be gentle.

The first thing I need to get my head around, is what to put in a repo ?

Do I put all of my development code in a single repo, or do I maintain
different repos for each specific code project ? (Does it matter if
you end up with 10's or 100's of repos)

I tend to keep most work in customer specific directories and then in
project specific subdirs

customers/
customers/abc/
customers/abc/web
customers/def/
customers/def/db
customers/ghi/
customers/ghi/db
customers/ghi/web

I suspect, that I should create _darcs repos for each specific
customer project dir.

Where possible, however, I develop code that is re-usable across many
customers/projects.

This code tends to live out of the customer heirachy, in my personal
development workspace.

Therin lies the problem. I have may have a generic code module in:
dev/python/formail.py and subtle modifications of the same in various
customer/project subdirs.

One way to do handle this, might be to create a repo in the main dev
directory, and keep different customer specific revisions in the same
repo ? That way, I am saving the slight changes between customers
specific versions as patches.

This may get difficult to manage however  (How do I know that customer
xyz's formail handler is actually maintained under
dev/python/formail.py) ?

If I have different repos for each customer, and I patch the main
repo, can I automatically push the changes out to the customer
specific repos ? Can links be established between the repos ?

Apologies if this is not the right forum for this type of question.

TIA