[darcs-users] intermediate changes and vim patch editor

Lev Lvovsky lists2 at sonous.com
Fri Dec 8 17:46:22 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm still a bit new to darcs, so I was hoping someone could recommend
the best way to deal with the following scenario:

1.  I maintain two darcs repositories at work - one "public", the
other "private".  The private repository is where I keep untested
changes before pushing or pulling them to the public repo for others
to retrieve.

2.  When leaving work, I pull my private repo to my laptop so that I
can do work while not connected to the network.  The 'record's that I
do at that point to my work repo are for lack of a better word,
intermediate, meaning they're just something to write down and save
my current changes, but generally I don't want other people to see
these annotations.

3.  When I'm done and want to push to my public repo, I'd like for
the "intermediate" changes, and their annotations to be combined into
one effective patch, without all of the intermediate patches or steps.

Am I going about this incorrectly, or is there a better methodology?

Also I'm figuring that I'd like to edit patches directly.  One of my
co-workers uses emacs which offers patch editing capabilities
(splitting of hunks, etc), however I'm unable to find such
capabilities with my editor of choice, vim - any suggestions?

thank you!
-lev