[darcs-users] Decoupling patch ids from metadata [was: Fixing a repo with duplicate patches]

Albert Reiner areiner at tph.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Dec 22 17:02:21 UTC 2006

[David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>, Thu, 21 Dec 2006 05:48:20 -0800]:
> We just need to teach darcs to hide such lines (a one-line
> modification to human_friendly), and to generate them (which
> requires reading /dev/urandom or something).

Just a thought: In this case, shouldn't darcs also escape any
occurrences of these lines that the user may have entered as part of
the description?

If the user does not see darcs-internal-patchid in normal operation,
she may well be tempted to use this string herself.  In general,
hidden "magic" strings are a bad idea IMO, especially in a tool that
many people may want to use as a basis for implementing their own
protocols.

Albert.