[darcs-users] Decoupling patch ids from metadata

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Wed Dec 27 22:27:51 UTC 2006

>> We've discussed this at FOSDEM last, and you know I don't agree.

>> IMHO, the issue is with the way Darcs generates patch ids -- for some
>> reason, a patch id is generated as a hash of the patch metadata.

> I think that there's no reason to couple this change with a repository
> format change.  All we need to do is add an extra line to the "long
> comment" portion of the current patch ID, and tell darcs not to display it
> to the user (unless perhaps they ask).

I think we're thinking of different things.

You're arguing for the minimal change that will solve the patch
unicity problem -- just adding some random junk to the data being
hashed over to assure unicity, and hiding it in the UI.

I'm thinking of a more pervasive change -- decoupling completely the
patch id from the metadata.  Both the patch and the inventory would
contain an explicit patch id, which would be generated by the patch
originator.

In other words, I'm thinking of adding the patch id as an explicit
field to the PatchInfo structure.

                                        Juliusz