[darcs-users] domains: a proposal for composing repositories

Marnix Klooster marnix.klooster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 06:10:32 UTC 2006

Jamie Webb wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:32:05AM -0800, John Meacham wrote:
>

>>darcs is just about perfect except for one thing, not having a straightforward
>>way to compose repositories. I know this issue has been discussed quite a bit
>>but I think I have a very lightweight proposal to mitigate this problem.
>>

>While I agree that some sort of support for multiple projects would be
>very useful, this implementation has already been proposed, discussed,
>and another one chosen. No-one ever wrote the code though:
>
>http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.darcs.user/3304

John,

I'm not understanding your proposal yet, and I won't have much time to
try.  But could you explain whether your proposal conflicts with the one
Jamie is referring to?  And if it doesn't conflict, how much more
difficult would it make the user's understanding of darcs if both were
implemented?

The reason I ask, is because simplicity is a major goal for darcs, and
David's proposal in the thread Jamie mentions seems like a good one to
me.  Ultimately someone might get around to it.

(I  know you know, but for any others who spent time searching: the post
where David makes his proposal is

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.darcs.user/3464

It's the part about adding new patch types "addsubrepo" etc., near the end.)

Groetjes,
 <><
Marnix