[darcs-users] Re: most of the commands do not use dash to separate words

Marnix Klooster marnix.klooster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:02:23 UTC 2006

Richard A. Smith wrote:

> Peter Hercek wrote:
>
>> Using dashes would require more renames. I agree with Albert
>>  although I think renames are ok when the major version number
>>  changes.
>>

> While on the rename subject I think the 'mv' command should be changed
> to 'move' to be consistent with the other commands.

This has been discussed over and over.  For example in this thread:
http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-April/001528.html.

The "darcs mv" part of the manual (currently at
http://darcs.net/manual/node7.html#SECTION00753000000000000000) says:
"Darcs mv needs to be called whenever you want to move files or
directories. Unlike remove, mv actually performs the move itself in your
working copy. This is why ``mv'' isn't called ``move'', since it is
really almost equivalent to the unix command ``mv''. I [probably meaning
David] could add an equivalent command named ``move'' for those who like
vowels."

I seem to remember arguments for not having synonyms for commands, for
reasons of simplicity (from the user's point of view).  But I'm not
clear on those; the mailing list archives should know.

Perhaps someone could summarize the arguments for and against
mv/move/both, and ask for a vote on darcs-users.

Groetjes,
 <><
Marnix