[darcs-users] Re: most of the commands do not use dash to separatewords

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at iki.fi
Fri Feb 3 00:17:16 UTC 2006

On 2006-02-03, Richard A. Smith <rsmith at bitworks-inc.com> wrote:
> Much longer?  A whopping _2_ characters!

It's a lot when one's used to typing 'mv'. And it's counterintuitive
to use a completely different command in a darcs repository than outside
on.

> I touch type and my fingers type what I think virutally automatically.
> It could be 10 characters longer not make that much difference to me.

So you type fast. Not everyone does.

> What does make a difference is that I consistently type 'move' when it
> should be mv.

Are you sure you're a unix user?

> Although, most new users would find
> the interface hostile, and loads of comments on how hard darcs is to
> work with would ensue.

I'm not opposed to adding 'move'. I'm opposed to removing 'mv'.
And I _very much_ doubt that 'mv' is more difficult than 'move'.
Those users who can't memorise 'mv' or look it up from the help,
have serious problems using the command line at all.

> I'm one of the old 'unix' guys in my group and the 2 character command
> line commands are consistently what trip up the users new to *nix.

And you think longer commands would be easier? Yeah, right.
DOS commands were not at all easier to learn back in the days.

> If you want all your commands in 2 characters like *nix then use the
> 'alias' command and make you own.

Darcs doesn't have an alias command.

--
Tuomo