[darcs-users] domains: a proposal for composing repositories

Albert Reiner areiner at tph.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Feb 3 16:20:32 UTC 2006

[Jamie Webb <j at jmawebb.cjb.net>, Thu, 2 Feb 2006 19:49:58 +0000]:
> But remember that domains are essentially repo-local (It just happens
> that's you'd probably version-control the domains file). That would
> mean that 'replace' could affect a different set of files in each
> repo! Worse, that would imply that it had different dependencies in
> each repo. I don't think it works.

It is not clear to me that there would be this kind of problem if
domains are defined in terms of patches: after all, the patches are
supposed to be unique.  I haven't thought about the consequences of
patch permutations, though.

In this case, the domainfile would simply be a convenient way of
naming often used domains; the patch would instead record the
replacement domain in terms of the patches that define the domain.

Anyway, the proposed flavor of domains simply seems not very
thoroughly thought out to me, and seems to be too narrowly focused on
an issue that should not exist at all in proper use of darcs: as far
as I understand, poison patches only arise because of lumping together
what should be different repos.  A policy of "one repo per domain" is
sufficient to solve this issue, I think.  But as long as current
behavior does not change at all without user intervention (like
creation of a domainfile), I don't really care if it is implemented.
It just seems a waste of effort to me.

Regards,

Albert.