[darcs-users] Re: most of the commands do not use dash to separatewords

Richard A. Smith rsmith at bitworks-inc.com
Sat Feb 4 01:09:22 UTC 2006

John Meacham wrote:

> I use it because I saw it existed so assumed it was the proper way to
> delete files. I only learned you could just delete them when I
> accidentally used 'mv' instead of 'darcs mv' and it recorded the patch
> as deteting the original file.

Hmmm.  I was unaware of this as well. IMHO, this would be an error
condition or at least cause for darcs to whine to alert me that I might
be messing up.

I've told darcs to control files but yet they have disappeared without
me telling darcs that they were going to vanish.

It doesn't jive with the inverse.  If I add a new file in my repo a
darcs record will not automatically add the file.
I have to do darcs add first.

I like it that darcs remove does not auto delete the file.  Thats good.
  Auto deleting anything is bad in my book.  Its nailed me once or twice
with WinCVS.  (Especially since the behavior changed after an upgrade)

But I think you need a  separate command that means 'delete from
repository control'.  That's what should generate the removal patch.

I'm sure this behavior was thought out beforehand so somebody enlighten
me on the reasoning.

--
Richard A. Smith
Bitworks, Inc