[darcs-users] Setting up a server

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Feb 4 06:03:30 UTC 2006

Jamie Webb wrote:
>>You must have some way to upload files to the server. SSH? FTP? I'd
>>think that those two would be more romising than using a CGI script.
>
> Neither are secure; the former because it grants the user too much
> access[1], and the latter because it is a stupid protocol which should've
> been obsoleted long ago. HTTP(S) POST is IMO a much more appropriate
> solution.

I disagree about [1] (more below). If you have your heart set on HTTP
then you want to use DAV. But then again, the server might not support DAV.

 > [1] Yes, I know it's possible to be pretty sure that only Darcs will
 > run, but a) these methods have been historically unreliable, and b)
 > they are black magic; more people are comfortable with configuring a
 > web server.

I don't see why it's black magic or unreliable. This is exactly the
method our group decided on (OpenDocument Fellowship). You just make a
custom shell which is simple enough.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--