[darcs-users] When do I need --ask-deps?

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Sun Feb 5 14:30:18 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 15:26:07 +0100, Charles M. Gerungan wrote:
> In the part on Dependencies in the manual[1], it says: "Explicit  dependencies can be created if you give the --ask-deps option to  darcs record. This is good for assuring that
> logical dependencies  hold between patches."
>
> Does this mean I have to use --ask-deps every time I use record to  make sure that when another user does a darcs pull everything gets  pulled?

No...

Let's say you created a new function:

	get_foo();

In your code, and committed a patch.

Now, assume you use this function in another file.

darcs can't know that the second file depends on the first file,
unless the physical diff generated between the files depends on
get_foo in a technical manner.

You can darcs record --add-deps to make sure that whoever pulls the
second change must also pull the first change, even though there's
nothing in the diffs themselves to cause this dependency to be
created.

 /\  kung foo master: /me does not drink tibetian laxative tea: neeyah!