[darcs-users] Apache configuration for Trac on Darcs

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sun Feb 5 18:40:38 UTC 2006

Eric Kow wrote:
> Huh... I'm stumped.
>
> What happens when you change it back?
>
> chown -R root:trac /var/trac

That's so weird... it works. I can't imagine why it works now where it
didn't work before. I don't like it when computers act randomly.

What's more, I had the same problem in the trac_cache directory. I
"fixed" it the same way (by making it owned by www-data) and now I
changed it back and, once again, it works correctly.

And what's more, I had almost the same problem with the svn/db directory
(we're using Trac with both Darcs and Subversion), the same "fix", and
again, after changing it back it works.

> From the looks of it, though, I don't think that it poses any problem
> that /var/trac belong to www-data.  It's not like you're giving it any
> more rights to the directory than it already would have the g+w
> permissions (is it?).  Perhaps this could be a basis for simplifying the
> howto.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I guess that my real concern is the
Subversion repository. I don't care if /var/trac and _darcs/trac_cache
are owned by www-data, but svn/db must be editable by developers.

Well, thank you very much for your help. I'm very glad your suggestion
worked.

> I can't remember why exactly I have this complicated set up with the
> trac group.  I'm guessing that it is so set
> /var/darcs/yourProj/yourRepo/_darcs/trac_cache to be owned by
> yourProj:trac, so that both the project and the web server can write to
> it.  But that's kind of bad because it lets one project mess around with
> the trac_cache of another.  Using ACL to make it writeable by both
> www-data and the user might be a better way to go.

Am I right in that there's no need for developers to touch trac_cache? I
set it to root:trac. Will that cause any problems?

In the case of Subversion's svn/db I put it in the group 'devel' and I
added Apache to this group. I don't like this solution but I don't know
any other way to make Trac work with Subversion while letting developers
do their work.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--