[darcs-users] Re: carrying license information?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sat Feb 11 13:01:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:13:18AM -0500, Zachary P. Landau wrote:
> > What I'm thinking might serve your desires best would be to allow a
> > template for long comments... and perhaps have a way to indicate a boring
> > portion of the long comments that is optionally hidden in the interface.
> > Then one could put a license statement in the template, perhaps hidden with
> > a marker.  Maybe:
> >
> > darcs record --long-comment-template=~/.licence
> >
> > ~/.license contains:
> > LICENSE
> > This code is license under GPL 2 or later, and I grant Zooko the right to
> > relicense it if he wishes.
> > EOF
> >
> > Then we could perhaps run something like
> >
> > darcs changes --boring-comment-initiator=LICENSE
>
> This is very close to 'darcs record --logfile=LICENSE
> --edit-long-comment'.  Perhaps using that is good enough?

The advantage of the template would be that you wouldn't need to edit the
template, so you could just stick this thing in your defaults.  You're
right, though, that it's shockingly similar.  Perhaps what we need is
something like a --prompt-for-name flag.  Then we could use

darcs record --logfile=LICENSE --prompt-for-name

and we'd be presented with the same ordinary user interface (asking us for
the name, and if we want to edit the long comment.  So we could stick these
two flags in the defaults, and our license would always be added, but we
wouldn't always have to have an editor opened up (which I find annoying).
http://www.darcs.net