[darcs-users] locking

Matthias Fischmann fis at wiwi.hu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 22 13:28:07 UTC 2006

hi,

I am trying to figure out a locking procedure for a repo containing
mostly 5 tex files and shared by 5 people.  I couldn't find any
equivalent to 'svn lock', but relying on auto-conflict-resolution also
seems a bad idea if the repository constists mainly of three to five
latex files.

My idea was this: (1) If somebody starts working on a file, he
broadcasts an e-mail to the project that this file is locked.
Everybody complies.  When the work is done, a 'free' message is
broadcast, again via an e-mail read by all project members by hand.
(2) If another person wants to work on a locked file, she can call the
lock owner and neegotiate, probably resulting in (3) the file being
split in two files and a fresh pair of locks being broadcast over
e-mail, replacing the old one.

This will probably do for this particular type of repo, but I was
wondering whether anybody here has come up with better / other
solutions?

thanks,
matthias