[darcs-users] locking

Jamie Webb j at jmawebb.cjb.net
Wed Feb 22 15:21:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 02:28:07PM +0100, Matthias Fischmann wrote:
> I am trying to figure out a locking procedure for a repo containing
> mostly 5 tex files and shared by 5 people.  I couldn't find any
> equivalent to 'svn lock'

No. Locking is completely counter to the way darcs works.

> but relying on auto-conflict-resolution also
> seems a bad idea if the repository constists mainly of three to five
> latex files.

Why?

I'm not trying to push you away, but if you really need locking, then
you are going to lose just about every benefit Darcs has over SVN
anyway, so you will probably be better off sticking with SVN rather
than cobbling together an ad-hoc locking system.

But that's okay, because probably if you try working without locking
you'll find that actually the world doesn't end. And it turns out that
resolving the odd conflict takes much less time than the continual
overhead of lock administration. Remember that SVN, by way of CVS, was
designed on this premise too. They just kept the lock functionality in
to placate RCS users (or perhaps SourceSafe, these days...  :-/).

-- Jamie Webb