[darcs-users] locking

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Thu Feb 23 12:03:55 UTC 2006

A patch type for formated text is, I think, the first new kind
of patch type David suggested on the list.

A patch type that has been discussed is a Move Patch that moves
as block of lines from one place to another (possibly across
files). This patch type would not be so hard to do, but it would
be nice if the diff algorithm could find and suggest the moves.

A big problem with new patch types, and especially plugin patch
types, is it is in practice not enough with changes being
reversible. Different patch types have to commute with each
other (as much as possible), or the famous (and cherry picking
friendly) order independence of darcs patches will be
theoretical only. For plugin patches I think they would have to
be defined in some declarative patch language from which darcs
could deduce how to commute them.