[darcs-users] locking

zooko at zooko.com zooko at zooko.com
Fri Feb 24 14:50:54 UTC 2006

> Here's what problem I tried to solve: If you and I
> write one new patch type each without knowing each other, their
> "properties" should be declared in some way so that darcs can
> figure out how to commute them with each other. Commutation
> rules are currently hardcoded and thus require patch type
> designer to know about and handle all other existing patch
> types, which in not feasible in plugin land.

Perhaps this problem, like many problems in software engineering, can be solved
by the use of darcs.

A newly created "add patch type" patch depends on all extant "add patch type"
patches.  Anytime you have two "add patch type" patches which were
independently developed then they conflict and a programmer is required to
specify how they commute past one another in order to resolve the conflict.

;-)

Regards,

Zooko

P.S.  I'm not entirely sure if I am serious, but I want to know where this
leads!