[darcs-users] Re: What's better, Darcs or Mercurial?

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Mon Feb 20 20:43:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 21:09 +0100, Radoslaw Szkodzinski wrote:

> Major differences:
> - In Darcs you can enforce that a testsuite is run before committing

You can do this in Mercurial, too.  Use a precommit hook.

> - Darcs stores binary files more efficiently I think.

That is possible.  Mercurial trades off storage efficiency for retrieval
efficiency, so it doesn't use the smallest possible amount of space.  I
does store deltas of binary files instead of full copies if possible
(since it treats all files as binary), until the delta chain becomes too
long to reconstruct quickly, at which point a full copy is stored.  Both
deltas and copies are stored compressed when that saves space.

	<b