[darcs-users] Re: What's better, Darcs or Mercurial?

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon Feb 27 20:38:46 UTC 2006

Radoslaw Szkodzinski <astralstorm at gorzow.mm.pl> writes:

> Major differences [between Darcs and Mercury]:

You forget about the most important difference.  Darcs has far better
support for cherry-picking than any other VC system, free or otherwise.

I recommend Darcs if you need cherry-picking.  If you don't (for
example because you only have short-term branches, or because Andrew
Morton is doing your cherry-picking for you), you may want to use Git
or something similar instead (I'm told Mercury is similar to Git, but
I haven't looked at it myself).

Whatever you choose, please make sure you use a Free (Libre) system
with good support for distributed development, (e.g. Darcs, Git,
Monotone, Mercury or Arch).  Using a proprietary system, or using a
centralised system will definitely cause trouble in the longer term.

Please follow-up on Darcs-users, I don't follow the Mercurial list.

                                        Juliusz