[darcs-users] RFC: Third-party applications directory

Alberto Bertogli albertogli at telpin.com.ar
Tue Jan 3 18:22:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:32:01AM +0000, Pedro Melo wrote:
> >The following is the list of files that live in this directory,
> >along with
> >their description. Examples are below.
> >
> >* description
> >	A one-line, plain description of the repository, in the repository
> >	encoding.
> >* project_homepage
> >	The URL of the project the repository refers to. Only one, in one
> >	line, properly escaped if necesary.
> >* abstract
> >	A brief description of the project. It can span multiple lines.
> >	It should be in plain text in the repository encoding, unless you
> >	specify, in the first line, the content type in MIME-style.
>
> We need a way do disambiguate this first line. Maybe we should write
> this instead.
>
> --------
> A brief description of the project. It can span multiple lines and it
> should be in plain text in the repository encoding
>
> If a diferent format or encoding is required, the file can start with
> \r\n"
> --------
>
> I would like a better text... But that's the best I can do right now.

I like your text, it's clear and simple. Maybe there should be some link
to the available/standard content types, so people don't invent their own
and applications can parse it correctly.

> >* encoding
> >	The encoding used for repository data and metadata (ie. covers
> >	files AND patch descriptions).
>
> I agree that this file is better than nothing, but eventually this
> should be done by darcs it self. IMHO, all patch descriptions should
> be UTF8 always.
>
> If I import patches with a different encoding, this file will be
> lying to me :)

I completely agree; but until darcs has this, I guess it's better to keep
it. Maybe with a note that it might go away in the future, in the case
darcs decides to take up on it.

> But apart from this, looks great!

I guess it'd be nice to put this up in the wiki. I tried, but after a bit
of looking around, I couldn't find any suitable place or name to put this
draft under. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
		Alberto