[darcs-users] proposal - darcs gui project?

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 12:59:21 UTC 2006

Hello,

Users: would anybody be interested in darcs having an optional,
built-in gui?
Developers: would anybody be interested in resurrecting the wxhaskell
gui code in darcs?

I'm not entirely sure how useful/easy this would be, but it could be a
fun project.  My proposals are:

1. We create an official darcs-gui branch for work on this sort of
thing.
    This allows us to make a joyful mess without cluttering up
darcs-unstable

2. We create a darcs-ui mailing list for discussion on darcs and user
interfaces.
    Note that this would not just be for the haskell code, but also
projects like PatchWorks and TortoiseDarcs and maybe even things like
darcs2rss.  I'm guessing there will be darcs developers who don't care
for gui stuff and darcs user interface people who don't want to know so
much about the core devel activity?

3. People already working on 3rd party darcs guis consider also
volunteering some time hacking on the built-in gui.
    Who knows?  Maybe a tighter integration might be useful, maybe not.
It'd also be a chance to learn or to improve your haskell.  I'll bet
your 3rd party guis and the built-in one will coexist happily -- more
than one way to solve a problem, different problems being solved (?),
and all that.

Implementation ideas:

4. To reduce the use of ifdefs in the code, we move all the gui code
into their own files (say in a gui subdir).  Eventually, if darcs
becomes a library, we could just split this off into a standalone
project.

5. The GUI code unilaterally adopts a namespace :-), say Darcs.GUI

6. We look into Blobs as a graphical tool for visualising patch
dependencies

Any takers? Anybody interested in helping out?

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.