[darcs-users] proposal - darcs gui project?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Jan 8 04:00:44 UTC 2006

Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for your feedback, all!
>
> I agree that darcs is already pretty easy to use from a command line.
> But what I had in mind when I mentioned a graphical interface was not so
> much ease-of-use (which would be nice, of course), but *convenience*.
>
> Maybe there are things that work better in a GUI than with the console
> interface?  For example,
> 1. a patch dependency visualiser
> 2. an iTunes-like interface to patches (click on the 'author' column,
> and you see the patches sorted by author, for example)
> 3. click on a patch and you get some subtle feedback on all the patches
> it depends on (for example, they change colour)

darcsweb should be mostly there WRT #2 and #3.

> 4. maybe some kind of help resolving conflicts? (no clear ideas)

Sounds like reinventing the wheel, while xxdiff, tkdiff, mgdiff, kdiff3,
emacs's emerge and things just a one-liner script away?

I'm not sure about a patch dependency visualizer. "pstree" works on the
console, too :-) but it's indeed something that might profit from a
GUI. Is such a thing needed? I don't have a distributed trees model or
many interdependent patches yet, so this use case isn't mine, but since
there is one, I wish the implementor(s) good speed with their code. :-)

--
Matthias Andree