[darcs-users] Bug in patch reversal

Aaron Kaplan lists2546 at aaronkaplan.info
Sat Jan 14 23:01:19 UTC 2006

There seems to be a bug in the way darcs inverts certain patches.
Consider a file that begins as

  ---8<-----
  one
  two
  three
  ---8<-----

and then is modified to look like

  ---8<-----
  three
  one
  ---8<-----

If you record this change and then unpull it, the file ends up like
this:

  ---8<-----
  three

  one
  ---8<-----

So much for the bug report, now for a question.  The patch in question
looks like this:

  hunk ./foo 1
  -one
  -two
  hunk ./foo 2
  +one

I tried editing it in _darcs/patches by hand, so that it now looks like
this:

  hunk ./foo 1
  -one
  -two
  -three
  +three
  +one

This seems to fix the problem, and darcs check says the repo is
consistent, so I'm tempted to go on using it.  But I suppose that now
the patch's checksum doesn't match its contents anymore.  Is this going
to cause me other problems further down the road?  I can make the change
to all  repos that contain the problem patch--there's no risk of anyone
else having pulled it.

Thanks
-Aaron