[darcs-users] Bug in patch reversal

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Sun Jan 15 20:02:01 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:44:02AM -0800, Jason Dagit wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2006, at 2:48 AM, Tommy Pettersson wrote:
> >I started a trackdown before I went to bed yesterday, and am
> >now seeing:
> >
> >  Trying without the patch:
> >  Mon May  9 22:39:55 CEST 2005  Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li>
> >    * Eliminate slurp_write_dirty from Unrecord
> >  Finished recording patch 'init'
> >  Finished recording patch 'foo'
> >
> >  Sun Jan 15 10:10:31 CET 2006  Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>
> >    * foo
> >  Shall I unpull this patch? (1/?) [ynWvpxqadjkc], or ? for help:
> >  Finished unpulling.
> >  Success!
>
> That's different than what I get:
> Trying without the patch:
> Sun Jan  2 07:43:49 PST 2005  David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>
>   * add Conflictor patch type.
>
> That was the last patch that mine unpulled, but it also skipped
> several patches before that due to compilation problems.  I wonder if
> the bug we're trying to find is causing us problems.  I ran the
> unpull between 1.0.3 and 1.0.4.

Well, the point where trackdown succeeds is just a working
starting point from which one can compare or try to pull
various patches until the error appears.  Conflicts that
prevents a clean build can possibly cause lots of "unnecessary"
unpulls.  The trackdown command has no smartness in it yet.

I've been pulling quite many patches from "my" starting point
without hitting the bug so far.  Maybe this approach turns
out not to be the best for finding this bug.