[darcs-users] understanding darcs boring regexp's

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Sat Jul 1 10:17:24 UTC 2006

Hi,
Again I have trouble finding how the darcs boring regular expressions works.
I want all files ending with ".aux" in the directory named "work" only
from the toplevel working directory be ignored.

I tried, for example:

Because I realized that the right way to ignore the directory "media"
only when found at the toplevel of my working dir was

^media

I tried, for example, these:

^work/*.aux
^work/\.aux

and lots of other I wont bore you with now. I read the wiki, and the
darcs manual about the boring file, but cannot find how I can reach my goal.

All don't work. What's the right way?

BTW, in case any developer reads this: I think this boring stuff should,
even if it's admittedly  very  boring, be much better documented.
I also had to fiddle around some longer time to get a directory named
"media", only at the very toplevel of my working directory ignored,
while not being ignored when found somewhere else.
This gives the impression of darcs being quite complicated and hard to
learn.
It's also not documented which style of regular expressions(e.g. grep or
perl style) are used here - only one sentence like that would be very
helpful - I could read grep or perl docs to find out how to do it right...

Henning