[darcs-users] Uninstall

David J. Neu djneu at att.net
Mon Jul 3 22:04:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 12:06:51PM -0700, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> David J. Neu wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Simple question: How do I uninstall darcs?
> >
> >I'm planning to reinstall with an OS provided package.
> >
> >Many thanks!
>

> I'm sorry but I don't know a better way than to run "make install" again
> and make a list of all the files it copies into your filesystem and then
> manually delete all those files.
>
> Next time, use GNU stow.  It only takes a minute to understand, it is
> 100% compatible with all operating systems and all package managers, and
> it completely eliminates the problem that you are having right now.
>
> This public service announcement brought to you by the committee to
> promulgate the use of GNU stow.
>
> Regards,
>
> Zooko
>
> P.S.  Why are you switching to the OS provided package, anyway?

Thanks for the info.

So there isn't a "make uninstall" available?

GNU stow sounds like a nice addition to the toolset, I'll give it a
look.

Q: What's the procedure to upgrade from source?  Just do the
configure, make, make install dance over the existing version?

> P.S.  Why are you switching to the OS provided package, anyway?
So I don't have to track Haskell updates, etc.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
David