[darcs-users] 1.0.8 / 1.0.6 interop errors?

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 17:43:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 10:40:34 -0700, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> Eric Y. Kow wrote:
> >3) I'd rather not disable CM functionality for Windows, because that
> >   would deprive OpenSSH users under Win of their CM.  Perhaps we
> >   could detect that the ssh in question is putty and if so, assume
> >   we don't have CM capability.
>
> It would be great if Windows users could use openssh, but I thought that
> darcs invoked ssh with putty-specific command-line format.

Looking at the code, I do not believe this to be the case; all we do
is look for the environment variable DARCS_SSH.  There is no Windows
specific stuff as far as I can see.  OpenSSH on Windows should be OK.

> If it is true as per issue29 that darcs detects that it is running on
> Windows and passes different command-line format to "ssh", then that
> raises the question of why darcs requires putty ssh to be renamed from
> "plink.exe" to "ssh.exe".
>
> http://bugs.darcs.net/issue29

Hmm... does setting DARCS_SSH to plink work ?

> This offers a possible path forward: darcs could check for the existence
> of "ssh", and if present assume that it is openssh and use the openssh
> command-line.  Failing that, darcs could check for the presence of
> "plink" and if present use the putty command-line.

I have a different idea now.  My way of checking for ControlMaster is
pretty stupid (I give an invalid CM command and see if it complains).
What I will now do is invoke SSH with no arguments, which gives us a
help message (to stderr if OpenSSH, to stdout if Putty).  If the help
text contains CM-related stuff, we're good to go.  Doing things this
way means is a good bit more solid.  (Alterately, I could just do things
the old way and redirect output to a temp file, but the new way seems
to be much more straightforward)

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.