[darcs-users] 1.0.8 / 1.0.6 interop errors?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sun Jul 9 11:40:17 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 07:43:18PM +0200, Eric Y. Kow wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 10:40:34 -0700, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> > Eric Y. Kow wrote:
> > >3) I'd rather not disable CM functionality for Windows, because that
> > >   would deprive OpenSSH users under Win of their CM.  Perhaps we
> > >   could detect that the ssh in question is putty and if so, assume
> > >   we don't have CM capability.
> >
> > It would be great if Windows users could use openssh, but I thought that
> > darcs invoked ssh with putty-specific command-line format.
>
> Looking at the code, I do not believe this to be the case; all we do
> is look for the environment variable DARCS_SSH.  There is no Windows
> specific stuff as far as I can see.  OpenSSH on Windows should be OK.

I believe the trouble is that OpenSSH on Windows (at least the cygwin
version) won't accept windows absolute path names.  We might be able
to alleviate this by always using relative path names, but that's a
bit scary when we use unsafeInterleaveIO.  I suppose we could wrap the
ssh call in a withWorkingDir (or whatever it's called) to clean that
up, but it's still a bit of a hack.  On the third hand, it would be
great for users to be able to use openssh on windows.  And keep in
mind, I might be remembering this all wrong.  The trouble is that
cygwin ssh thinks the drive letter corresponds to a server named "c".