[darcs-users] 1.0.8 / 1.0.6 interop errors?

Olivier Thauvin olivier.thauvin at aerov.jussieu.fr
Sun Jul 9 12:22:33 UTC 2006

Le dimanche 9 juillet 2006 14:06, Eric Y. Kow a écrit :
> [resent in case of weird gmail trouble]
>
> On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 07:40:17 -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> > I believe the trouble is that OpenSSH on Windows (at least the cygwin
> > version) won't accept windows absolute path names.
>
> Hmm... does it accept any kind of absolute paths?  For example, would
> cygwin OpenSSH know how to interpret /cygdrive/c/foo/bar?
>
> If so, cygwin does come with this magical tool cygpath that transforms
> Unix-style paths into Windows ones and back (?).  I wonder if it would
> be super-ugly for us to make a wrapper script that calls cygpath on all
> arguments.  Or if there exists a library version or something that we
> could invoke via FFI.

Cygwin mind is to provide a cygwin libraries for Windows and for windows
programs which replace glibc/kernel. That mean that all glibc functions are
implement in the same way but are bridge from unix/POSIX way of life to
Windows native internal. To do this, the cygwin library virtualise many
things.

About path, the cygwin library emulate a Unix filesystem:

- top level cygwin tree on the window are view as '/'
- all windows drive are view as /cygdrive/LETTER_OF_DRIVE.

This is complettly transparent for programs built against cygwin.

A last point, path in form of 'LETTER:\' (or with /, don't remember) are also
undertand by cygwin library and correctly map. The main issue is for
programme that play with the path string.

Of course same method apply to other call like mount, hostname, passwd/group
functions, etc...