[darcs-users] Merging several patches into one

Richard A. Smith rsmith at bitworks-inc.com
Fri Jun 16 15:48:17 UTC 2006

Ketil Malde wrote:

> Another option might be to record a dummy patch, using --ask-deps to
> make it depend on the patches in question.  (Ideally, this could be a
> tag, but darcs does not appear to support --ask-deps for tags -- at
> least in the version 1.0.5 which I use).
>
> The advantage of doing it this way is that the patch history will be
> preserved¹, and that it is robust if the patches have been
> distributed.

I think the --ask-deps on a tag is closest to what I want to do.  I
don't really want to try and manage different versions of the repos.

Since you cannot add a description to a tag a dummy patch might actually
work out better.

So how do the darcs developers (or other darcs users) handle this?  When
you are working on some feature for darcs that takes a while and
involves many patches what do you do when you want to roll it into the
release tree?

--
Richard A. Smith
Bitworks, Inc