[darcs-users] Darcs, symlinks and permissions.

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 03:11:49 UTC 2006

Darcs is rapidly becoming an indispensable tool in my toolbox, but it
has a couple of shortcomings that annoy me a bit.  I was wondering how
hard it would be to overcome these for a Haskell newbie.

First, permissions.  I noticed (too late) that darcs isn't useful for
managing things like /etc or /boot because it doesn't preserve file
permissions.  Is there a reason for it not doing this, and, if so, is
there any way that this functionality can be added (perhaps as a command
line switch if inter-platform portability is the issue)?

Second, symbolic links.  I have some source code lying around--a PDP-10
emulator--that uses a symlink from a build directory to a source
directory's makefile for various platforms.  The idea is that you go
into the build directory for the platform you're working off of and just
type "make" to have everything work.  Now unlike Mercurial (which is
what I evaluated before darcs), darcs will at least copy "empty"
directories from repo to repo.  But that last final step -- copying the
symlink within the repo -- isn't happening.  I was wondering, again, if
this is a difficult thing to add and if it was removed because of
inter-platform issues?

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn

"Sexual organs were created for reproduction between the male element
and the female element -- and everything that deviates from that is not
acceptable from a Buddhist point of view. Between a man and man, a woman
and another woman, in the mouth, the anus, or even using a hand." --The
Dalai Lama