[darcs-users] darcs 1.0.6 release

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Mar 1 05:13:35 UTC 2006

On 2/28/06, Josef Svenningsson <josef.svenningsson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/1/06, Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> > Without much surprise, here comes darcs 1.0.6, very much
> > identical to 1.0.6rc1.
>
> <snip>
>
> > New features:
>
> <lots of new nice feautures presented>
>
> I just have a question about the versioning number. Given all the great new
> features added to darcs in this release shouldn't it be 1.1.0 ?

I think it should be.

> I'm not aware of any darcs specific scheme here but the standard convention[1] is to
> use the third digit (or rather number) for bugfix releases only. To keep
> confusion to a minimum I think we should stick with that scheme.

Yes, I was advocating this a while back one of the darcs lists.  It's
simple to implement and helps give meaning to version numbers.

Perhaps we could even do something like once every X months there is a
feature freeze.  During the feature freeze the unstable repo is handed
to Tommy for Y days (or weeks) where only bug fixes are accepted in
Tommy's version.  When the Y days are over he releases it to the
world.  Meanwhile, the unstable branch has its middle version number
incremented when the freeze starts and continues to accept features.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Jason