[darcs-users] darcs 1.0.6 release

Josef Svenningsson josef.svenningsson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 01:46:07 UTC 2006

On 3/4/06, Olivier Thauvin <olivier.thauvin at aerov.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> Le Jeudi 02 Mars 2006 02:01, Tommy Pettersson a écrit:
>
> PostgreSQL use <major>.<minor>.<bugfix|improvements>
> If major or/and minor change, this mean internal schema has changed and
> you
> need to dump/restore your DB to upgrade.
>
> For darcs, we can imagine a change of major implies a break of
> compatibility
> in  repository format.

I think this sounds very appealing.

But there is also an argument to be made for the kernel scheme to allocate
certain version numbers as development versions. In GHC they accomplish this
is a development version and the even ones are release versions. I think
this works pretty well and might be an alternative scheme to consider.

All the best,

/Josef