[darcs-users] locking

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Mon Mar 6 18:12:23 UTC 2006

Marnix Klooster wrote:
> The solution seems very simple to me: have new patch type that contains
> a *character-based* diff, instead of the currently used (and
> traditional) line-based diff.
>
> This requires no knowledge of the structure of the file contents, and is
> fairly robust (i.e., leads to sensible diffs) when only small changes
> are made, such as wording changes, layout changes, etc.

Well, then you have to worry about character sizes and encodings a lot
more.  Characters may be anywhere between 7-bits (non-extended ASCII,
among others) to 16-bits (Unicode) to 32-bit ("Wide" Unicode), and in
some languages their "characters" actually contain sequences of several
Unicode characters.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/