[darcs-users] new to darcs

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 02:32:10 UTC 2006

Maybe it's not as bad as we think.

On 3/17/06, Olivier Thauvin <olivier.thauvin at aerov.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> - revision, there is no revision in darcs, a "revision" is an accumulation of
> patch

agreed - no revision.

> - date ? which date ? last patch ? patch have no order, meaning you can apply
> patch 1 and 3 to a repos while you have 1 2 3 in your home.

We could pick a reasonably sane convention.

In the sense that patches can be commuted, it is true that they have no
order.  But in your repository, they do have some linear order, and
maybe we can exploit that.  Can't we just use the latest patch (in your
copy of the repository) that affects the given file?

So if I have                           1 2 3; mine  will be '3'
and if you have the same, but in order 3 1 2; yours will be '2'

And so it's not very accurate -- but so what? Maybe it'll be useful
anyway.

> - Author ? which one ? Author are set by patch, and again, last patch have is
> no sense.

We could do the same as above.

> Frankly, after some analyze, I prefer no keyword instead a fake that always
> lie (aka showing always same value because new patches are older than my last
> one).

I'm not so sure.  It's nice to have at a glance.   For example, for my
webpage, I like knowing when was the last time I modified something,
and it doesn't really matter to me that it's completely accurate.  I'd
like to think of it not so much as a lie, but as an approximation :-)

Anyway, as usual, I suggest we summarise on the wiki:
  http://darcs.net/DarcsWiki/CVSKeywords

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.