[darcs-users] CVS style keywords in darcs?

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Tue Mar 21 03:27:21 UTC 2006

Mark Stosberg wrote:
> I like Juliusz' idea of running a script at predist time, although
> personally I get by fine without any keywords at all anymore.

I agree.  The most common use of keywords is for version tracking of raw
repo-less copies ("what version is the client using when he got this
bug?").  The easiest solution is just to always provide a full copy of
the repo and let the client use ``darcs changes`` for that.  Beyond that
is to only distribute copies at Tag marks, which is usually an easy
enough release schedule.  When that doesn't suffice you have the option
of running a predist script.  If anyone wants a suggestion: an easy
option for your predist script is to save a copy of ``darcs changes
--context``.

Actually, that might be the most generally useful solution and something
that might warrant a shortcut.  What about adding a --context-file
option to ``darcs dist``?

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/