[darcs-users] Action on successful push of a patch

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Tue May 9 16:11:54 UTC 2006

On 5/8/06, Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at lshift.net> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> We've been using cvszilla (http://www.cvszilla.org/) here at LShift, and
> one feature we like that we want in Darcs is the ability for the
> version-control system to append notes (containing the log message) to a
> Bugzilla bug record every time a commit is accepted by our central
> repository.
>
> How might one configure Darcs to perform some action each time it
> accepts a patch for inclusion in the central repository? Ideally we'd be
> able to continue using "darcs push" unmodified, and configure the
> post-accept-action centrally in just the one place. Is this possible at
> the moment?

You should be able to use a posthook in apply:
http://www.darcs.net/manual/node5.html

The only problem you will run into is that the current implementation
is per apply not per patch.  Someone should implement some
communication between darcs and the posthook which tells the posthook
which patches were applied and some metadata about those patches.  I'm
not sure how it should work, nor do I have spare cycles at the moment.

(There are ways to fake it, you could grab the output of 'darcs
changes' every apply and then write a script that diffs the output to
calculate which patches are new.  The darcs community at large could
benefit from either 1) changes to darcs to implement this 2) a script
that fakes it for now.)

HTH,
Jason